Presented by Pacific Islands Trade & Invest, Maketi Ples 2013 features some of the most exciting contemporary visual art, textiles and 3-D artisan works from seven Pacific Island nations.
The diverse mix of art works at Maketi Ples 2013 includes:
- Visual art – drawing, painting, photography, printmaking
- Ceramics – traditional practices and contemporary pieces
- Textiles – traditional textiles, ‘bilumwear’ and hand printed modern fabric
- Basketry and Weaving – from recognised creators and rural artisan communities
- Wood work, carving & jewellery – highly crafted artisan pieces based on traditional knowledge
This year, contemporary Samoan painter and tatau (tattoo) artist Lalovai Peseta will be exhibiting his work and conducting live tatau demonstrations. His paintings experiment with common perceptions of Samoan symbolism, through abstract expression, and playful use of colour, shape and form. Tatau designs, both subtle and explicit, are an ever-present theme in the body of his work.
Live free of charge events at Maketi Ples:
- Maketi Ples artist talks at the gallery: Saturday February 23, 2013 , 1-4 pm. Free to the public.
- Traditional Samoan Tatu demonstration by artist Lalovai Peseta, and talk by Dr Vanya Taule’alo: Thursday February 28 and Friday March 1, 3 – 7pm. Free to the public.